Moving home is the time when we all find out how much more we have to move than we thought, so AR Removals will always visit you to advise, and assess how much you have to move before quoting for your removal job. It is well known that moving home is a stressful time, partly because unless you are a committed ‘declutterer’ and minimalist, the task of sorting and packing all your possessions may seem monumental.
Reducing the amount you have to move before moving home will help keep costs down, and reduce clutter in your new home, freeing up space for new items to make your home feel fresh and new. Here are a few tips on how to pare down your possessions to make the task of moving home run more smoothly.
- Assess your possessions. Do one room at a time, starting with the least used, and divide your possessions into piles, to keep, throw away, give away, or try to sell before moving home.
- Reduce your paper clutter by shredding or burning your outdated personal paperwork, and recycling old magazines.
- Throw out, give away or sell duplicated items, and throw away things that are in need of repair, unless you can definitely repair them cheaply and soon.
- Throw away old toiletries and cleaning products. Moving home is a good opportunity to renew toiletries, that can go out of date without you noticing.
- Throw away cheap items that will cost more to move than to replace.
- Sort through your clothing and donate or throw away anything that you haven’t worn in over a year, or don’t really like, doesn’t fit, or needs mending.
- Before you pack what is left, consider whether you really like it, or it is useful, or valuable. If it is none of these, consider donating, throwing away, or selling. For the remainder, consider whether it will fit in your new home, and whether you will have a future use for it.
If you follow these suggestions, you should have far less to pack when moving home, so call in the removals experts from AR Removals for a reasonably priced quote and an excellent removals service.